Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Deepening Democracy in Coventry

If society is apathetic and depoliticised, it gives more scope for corruption and exploitation of the system, as well as creating more room for extreme parties.

That’s why:

- At 16, you can get married, pay taxes and join the army. The Green Party supports the campaign to lower the voting age to 16.
- We would bring in “Citizen Initiatives” – a petition from 20% of the electors in a council ward could place a proposition on the ballot for the coming year
- If elected, I would voluntarily subject myself to recall, that is, if 40% of Earlsdon ward would sign a petition calling for my recall, I would resign to fight a by-election
- I would send updates six times per year to all dwellings in the Earlsdon ward on recent city council decisions
- With local election turnout so low, the Greens would push to get as many people as possible on the electoral roll

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home